Newcastle announced the signing of striker Chris Wood from fellow Premier League strugglers Burnley on Thursday — the second arrival in the January transfer window under their new Saudi-led ownership.
30-year-old Chris Wood, who has signed a two-and-a-half-year contract, has moved to St James’ Park for an undisclosed fee, which reports said was £25 million ($34 million).
Wood is the club’s second signing this month following the arrival of England international full-back Kieran Trippier from Atletico Madrid last week.
Newcastle manager Eddie Howe said: “Chris is an important signing for us at a crucial time and I’m very pleased we have been able to move quickly and bring him here.
“He is a very dangerous attacking threat, has a physicality and character that I really like, and he has vast experience in the Premier League. He will be a great fit for us.”
Wood scored 53 goals in 165 matches for Burnley since joining from Leeds in 2017, including three goals in 21 games this season.