Hollywood star Kevin Spacey on Thursday pleaded not guilty at London’s Old Bailey court to four charges of sexual assault against three men.
Spacey 62, was wearing a blue suit and blue tie as he stood in the dock at the UK’s top criminal court.
He spoke to confirm his name and age before pleading not guilty to four charges of sexual assault and one count of causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent.
The Crown Prosecution Service, which is responsible for bringing prosecutions in England and Wales, said in May that it had authorised charges against Spacey.
A two-time Oscar winner for “The Usual Suspects” and “American Beauty”, he was formally charged by police in the British capital the following month and voluntarily appeared in court within days.
At a hearing last month, Spacey’s lawyer Patrick Gibbs told the court his client “strenuously denies any and all criminality in this case”.
“He needs to answer these charges if he is to proceed with his life,” Gibbs added at the time.
The deputy chief magistrate at the initial hearing was told that the actor lives in the United States, where he has family and a nine-year-old dog.
The magistrate formally withdrew an arrest warrant that had been issued two weeks prior after learning Spacey had travelled to London to appear in person.
Reporting restrictions prevent the media going into detail about the charges to avoid prejudicing a jury at any trial.